- 250 mL (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (125 ml) whole wheat flour
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) ground flax seeds
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1.25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Vanilla extract
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Canola oil
- 376 ml (1 1/2 cups) mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Whole flax seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped walnuts
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) 70% dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
Preheat the oven to 181 °C (350 ° F).
In a bowl, combine the two kinds of flour with the ground flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another bowll, beat the eggs with the maple syrup, vanilla, oil and mashed bananas. Gradually add the dry ingredients and stir until a smooth mixture is obtained.
Line an 8 ” x 4 ” (20 cm x 10 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper, then pour in the dough. Level the surface.
Garnish the dough with whole flax seeds and walnuts. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cooll on a rack.
If desired, top banana bread with chopped chocolate.
Cut the bread into six slices, then cut each slice in half. This bread will keep for 3 to 6 months in the freezer.